April 26th, 2013 8:13 PM
I've had this task on my list for awhile, but I couldn't figure out how to do it like I wanted. Initially, I had wanted to do this with watercolors, but that was a bit infeasible after a few practice runs. But luckily, I was able to get acquainted with ink this year and my skills have grown greatly, which allowed me to do this task.
I knew that I wanted to do something similar to a Jackson Pollack painting, but I didn't know how to get that effect with watercolor. But with ink, I knew that if I got the ink in the nib, I could blow it off of the pen and get a fantastic smear across the canvas. And I had a canvas lying around from an old project! Fantastic!
But I only had one canvas. How could I recreate the initial product? I'd have to divide the canvas into two parts. But once I'd divided into two parts, I realized that I had ruined my ability to create an exact clone, because now each side of the canvas was a mirror of the other. Shoot.
Then I threw caution to the winds and decided to mirror the original. I'd still be replicating it, just backwards. And it was just as much a pain as merely recreating it. Possibly more so, because I had to consider how the mirror would look, rather than making a direct copy. What a pain.
If there's one thing this project has taught me, it's that aleatory is best left to nature. You can't recreate a random event, no matter how hard you try. You can try as hard as you want, but it'll be fruitless and just produce a cheap imitation.
I'm pretty pleased with how the painting turned out. It looks like a strange sort of Rorschach test (not that there's a particularly normal sort of Rorschach test, that is).